Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Busy Day

Today was busy, at least by my standards. I chilled out with Sarah in the early morning... since she got up at 6:30!!!!!! At 11 we picked up Jenny to spend the day with us. We ran to the church so I could get a key and code for the alarm for scouts, off to Wal-mart and finally to the post office to mail my swap. Not too busy, huh? Jenny and I sat and chatted till Nathan got home from school, gave him a snack and did homework. Then Jenny got a call to interview at a much better place so we all loaded up and took her there. Instead of just sitting, we went across the parking lot to Sam's to get gas for the truck and drinks for us. By the time we were done, she was done and we picked her up and took her home. Nathan asked to go to the pet store so we drove over to Fin and Feather to check out what they had. Of course, he wants one of everything.. except the snakes and spiders, those are toooo creapy.

Here is where it gets so fun. We went next door to the Animal Hospital, hoping to see a friend of mine that I haven't seen in 3 years. She was there and VERY happy to see us. The last time Sharon saw Sarah she was a newborn!! Sharon asked if they could have a piece of candy and I said sure. We chatted while the kids noticed the resident cat and tried to pet it. All of a sudden, Nathan is choking. He's gasping for air and holding his neck. Like a mom, I cup my had under his chin to "catch" what he's choking on. All I can think is, this can't be good. I grabbed his arm and in one step made it to the garbage can across the room. I lean him over the can and say "Let it out"!!!! In between gasping for air and dry heaving, he starts to scream the loudest scream I've ever heard. He leans over once more and the candy shoots out of his mouth. WHEW!!! He was teary eyed and shaking. How scary for him. I sat with him on the bench and he says "now I know why we have teeth" Huh? He says "I really need to chew my food so I don't choke" Yes, yes you do need to chew your food. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.... NO CHOKING ALLOWED!! Poor Sharon! She was a wreck watching all that happen. She couldn't believe how calm I was. She was about to get one of the Vet's to come help him!! We tried to visit a bit more but the office got busy so we left. The rest of the night has been quite uneventful and I'm happy for that. Now that it's all over with, I do realize how dire the situation was and it freaks me out. I'm glad that I can be calm in those situations. I'm gonna go kiss his sleeping head now and thank God that he's still with me.

1 comment:

cropangel said...

Glad that everything turned out ok with Nathan. Sounds like you had a busy day though.